[BusyBox] bug#1043: tar having problems with long paths

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Sun Sep 24 01:59:58 UTC 2000

On Fri Sep 22, 2000 at 01:10:22PM +0200, Torbjörn Axelsson wrote:
> Package: Busybox
> Version: 0.47pre
> Severity: critical
>
> This applies to revision 1.65 of tar.c as well as earlier 0.47pre
> versions.
>
> The busybox tar does not handle long paths correctly. Neither does it
> work with gnu tar archives (which could be a lesser problem) nor does
> it create correct archives itself.
>
> Unfortunately the changes between 1.64 and 1.65 reintroduced:
> Lineo-Open-Source-Repository bug report logs - #1029
> tar doesn't parse command line options correctly
> (I will send another mail on that issue in a few minutes.)
>
> Instructions for recreating the scenario follows.
>
> /Torbjörn Axelsson, Cendio Systems

Thank you for the detailed bug report.  First, I was able to come
up with a test case where the argument parsing was broken, and I
have fixed that in CVS.

I have also now fixed the problems with mis-handling of long filenames and
links.  Because I am trying to get a release out the door, and because I am
feeling lazy today, I have taken the simplest approach to the problem -- when
tar detects a file name longer then the field size, it now complains that a
long file name exists and then it now skips the long file (both when extracting
and when archiving).  So now, the user is warned (instead of the silent tarball
corruption that could occur before).

My appologies for the bug,

 -Erik

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com