[BusyBox] Applet Hashing for Busybox

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Wed Oct 25 17:20:18 UTC 2000

On Wed Oct 25, 2000 at 06:09:31PM +0100, Gaute B Strokkenes wrote:

> > > Using C would make bb very hard to cross-compile.
> >
> > True!.. and this comes back to previous thing... if one
> > cross-compiles, forcing to do debug build for simple things may not
> > be what sometimes is desirable
>
> See above; if you want to cross-compile then you should make sure that
> you're compiling something that is know to be reasonably bug free.  No
> one in their right mind will make a largish, arbitrary change (such as
> adding an applet) and then just cross-compile blindly.

Agreed.  If someone wanted to, they could add a test that would do some
sed megic on applets.h, then sort it, run a diff and if diff finds anything
report an error...

That said, I am not too worried; I think the message in applets.h is clear:

    * It is CRUCIAL that this listing be kept in ascii order, otherwise the binary
    * search lookup contributed by Gaute B Strokkenes stops working. If you value
    * your kneecaps, you'll be sure to *make sure* that any changes made to this
    * file result in the listing remaining in ascii order. You have been warned.

 -Erik

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com