[BusyBox] Five copies of syslog

Karl M. Hegbloom karlheg at bittersweet.inetarena.com
Tue Oct 10 08:55:47 UTC 2000

>>>>> "David" == David Douthitt <ssrat at mailbag.com> writes:

    David> I read that this was normal.....

 I'm the one who wrote that code in `busybox' syslogd.  It used to
 hang things that tried to log until the thing before it did a
 closelog.  We had trouble with that during development of the Debian
 2.2 `boot-floppies'.  I made it fork for each connection so that
 multiple processes can log.

 The normal syslogd does fancy tricks to multiplex in one process.
 Implementing that would be a real challenge, and would require a lot
 more code than the simple fork per connection does.  (and threading
 would bring in the linuxthreads library; let's stick to just libc for
 `busybox'.)

 I'm not an expert programmer.  I don't have a copy of W. Richard
 Steven's 2nd edition "Unix Network Programming" volume 1 and 2...  I
 can't afford to buy them right now.  I think to really understand
 what might be wrong and how read, sockets, and select are _supposed_
 to interact would require reading that set, as well as some of the
 POSIX and Unix9x specs...

 If anyone's got more experience and can see what's wrong with it, I'd
 be glad to see what you change, and to know why, so I can learn from
 that.

Karl M. Hegbloom <karlheg at debian.org>