[BusyBox] kernel base gunzip

Bryan Rittmeyer bryan at ixiacom.com
Thu Nov 16 01:25:36 UTC 2000

Glenn McGrath wrote:

> cramfs also has its gunzip code, and doesnt ppp also use commpression ?

Good point. A reasonable case could be made for hard core, small
embedded systems using cramfs... I think the ppp compression code is
built as a module (not sure if this is still strictly true) so maybe we
could just hook into that code, which may be necessary under some cases
anyway?

I'm still with Erik though, that it'd be a lot of work for ~10kB.

Being selfish and arrogant for a minute, I think the core components are
the best place to put spare development effort. Tight embedded systems
typically don't =need= gzip, but virtually everybody (afaik...) is using
init, sh, ls, mount, etc... Given, these tools are extremely high
quality already. Cheers to everyone that has worked on them...

BTW, thanks for clarifying that bzImage thing. I had a feeling it was
just gzip-based but haven't looked at that code for a while.

Regards,

Bryan

--
Bryan Rittmeyer