[BusyBox] 5 copies of syslogd

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Tue Jun 27 05:10:40 UTC 2000

On Tue Jun 27, 2000 at 01:01:48AM -0400, Bradley D. LaRonde wrote:

> > Basically, what you see is syslogd working as expected.
>
> Is there significant overhead from the multiple processes?  I'm using
> BusyBox on a system with only 8MB RAM and no swap device at all.

Shouldn't be expensive at all.  Linux uses copy-on-write (COW) when it forks.
The only thing that gets written in the new processes are a few local
variables, so the total cost is the cost in the kernel for a few new processes
(not much), plus the few non-shared pages of memory.  Overall, the cose is very
small.

 -Erik

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com