[BusyBox] Documentation.

Mark Whitley markw at lineo.com
Mon Jun 26 07:53:19 UTC 2000

On Mon, Jun 26, 2000 at 06:19:12PM +0200, Andrew Higgs wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am new to this embedded systems thing. I have however promised Erik to
> at least attempt to assist with documentation.
>
> What I need are some suggestions of where I should begin. What do you
> feel needs to be done in this regard? If you were just starting out what
> would you like to see in the docs...

I can offer some suggestions for this one...

Take a look at the HOWTO on linuxembedded.org, it's a real good starting
point:

    http://linuxembedded.org/howto/Embedded-Linux-Howto.html

If you look specifically at the TinyLogin section (#5), you'll find that it
isn't quite complete (down at the tail end). If you look at the ash, Busybox,
and libraries sections (#s 6, 7, 8) you'll find that they're missing. If you
could help write up that Busybox section, then we could use it and
linuxembedded.org could too. That would be great.

The other thing that we want to do is move from the existing POD formatted
documentation that is currently in use (docs/busybox.pod) to SGML/DocBook
format. To that end, I just converted the POD file to DocBook. I'll massage it
a little and edit the Makefile to generate other doc formats from it.

As far as the tools you will need, I think just a text editor and a reference
manual that tells you the valid DocBook tags. This URL should give you what
you need:

	http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/

Something to keep in mind: At first glance, DocBook appears to be tremendously
complicated but the truth is that there are only a dozen or so tags that you
really neet do concern yourself with. Probably the only tags you'll need to
use are: book, title, author, date, abstract, para (or just 'p'), sect, sect1,
screen, abstract, toc, itemize & item. You might also use 'emphasize' and
friends.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask me questions, either directly or on the
mailing list (with preference toward the latter).

Mark Whitley
markw at lineo.com