[BusyBox] insmod question

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Mon Jun 26 18:39:37 UTC 2000

On Mon Jun 26, 2000 at 10:41:23AM -0700, Marc Nijdam wrote:

> > Sigh.  Clearly we need to get a unified parser (getopt probably) going for
> > busybox.  There have been far too many option parsing bugs...
>
> Absolutely.... Might work on that a bit more this week.

That would be great.

> On a networking-related mode, is anyone working on smaller ifconfig and
> route? I saw some initial attempts at this in the 0.44pre* snapshots,
> but they're not making it into the release yet.

Heh, those were not supposed to have snuck in... ;-) Those (ifconfig and route)
were based on code I swiped from ucLinux.  I had intended to adjust them
further and properly integrate them, but I didn't get the chance.  I can make
them available if you want to poke at them.  Right now thay can bring up an
interface, and take down an interface, but thay have no reporting capability
which is IMHO very important).

I furthermore think the time has come to split the networking related stuff out
of busybox into its own "netkit-tiny" package (as I have stated in the TODO
file for the past 3 releases...).  That way, if netkit-tiny has to be setuid
(for example for ping), it greatly reduces the amount of code needing to be
audited.  Right now, busybox has way too much code in it to even be properly
audited (and a lot of the code is _not_ beffer overflow safe).

 -Erik

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com