[BusyBox] Re: busybox and libc5

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Thu Jun 22 14:36:53 UTC 2000

On Fri Jun 23, 2000 at 12:11:59AM +1200, Simon Byrnand wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Great to see a new version of busybox out with libc5 support :-)
>
> I was just thinking a couple of days ago about emailing you to see how you
> were  getting on with the changes to make it compile with libc5.
>
> Unfortunately it doesnt seem to want to compile for me on Slackware 3.4,
> which is what I do all my libc5 compiling for freesco on.
>
> Here's what I'm getting:
>
> server:~/busybox-0.45# make
> gcc -Wall -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-builtin -D_GNU_SOURCE
> -DBB_VER='"0.45"' -DBB_BT='"2000.06.22-12:08+0000"'   -c ar.c -o ar.o
> /usr/include/asm/string.h: In function `strtok':
> In file included from internal.h:37,
>                  from ar.c:35:
> /usr/include/asm/string.h:359: `___strtok' undeclared (first use this
> function)
> /usr/include/asm/string.h:359: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only
> once
> /usr/include/asm/string.h:359: for each function it appears in.)
> make: *** [ar.o] Error 1
>
> Any ideas ? Obviously its some conflict with header files that are
> different between a 2.0/libc5 system and a 2.2/glibc2 system, but I dont
> know enough about the various header files to know where the cause lies.
>
> This is a stock Slackware 3.4 install with all the devel tools installed,
> but with the kernel and kernel sources updated to 2.0.38.

Ok.  I see.  /usr/include/asm is provided by the kernel.  So while I have the
libc5 port complete, it looks like some work is needed to make BusyBox work
with the 2.0.x kernels.  Do you have the skill to fix this?  If so I would
welcome a patch.  If not I will add "Make BusyBox work with Linux 2.0.x" into
the TODO list.

I'm cc'ing the busybox mailing list with this.  I hope you don't mind.

 -Erik

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com