[BusyBox] RE: busy box version 0.43

Modi, Al ModiA at diebold.com
Tue Jun 20 21:03:50 UTC 2000

Erik, thanks once again for your assistance in this. I obtained the busybox version 44 from the web site you provided in the attached note. I re-build the busybox for this new version. I am still not able to run busybox on the arm machine ( Intel brutus board).
I build both the static version and dynamic version of the busybox. Both of them provided me following error on the arm machine.
busybox: permission fault on section address = 0xfffffffc, code 2 segmentation fault ( core  dumped)
I have also build busybox version 43 on my 386 box using gcc for 386. This build of busybox
seems to work fine. When I type busybox from the build directory it displays the busy box version and all the utility contained with in it. I have tried few commands like ls and mount and they all appear to be working for 386 machine build.
./busybox ls -al *
or ./busybox mount --help
I am  including the file 'makefile.new' that will show you the changes I made to build the
busybox version 44. The file bout620 is the build output file and bres620 is the messages that were displayed on the screen. I don't know what I am doing wrong, do you have any other suggestion on this ?

I had a following questions on busybox version 44 Makefile
Makefile Comment

# To compile vs an alternative libc, you may need to use/adjust
# the following lines to meet your needs.  This is how I did it...
#CFLAGS+=-nostdinc -I/home/andersen/CVS/uC-libc/include -I/usr/include/linux
#LDFLAGS+=-nostdlib -L/home/andersen/CVS/libc.a
The following two lines I added for experiment, but when I uncommented the CFLAGS lines it
did not work.
#CFLAGS+= -I/usr/armv4l-unknown-linux/armv4l-unknown-linux/include -I/usr/armv4l
-unknown-linux/armv4l-unknown-linux/include/linux
#LDFLAGS+=-nostdlib -L/usr/armv4l-unknown-linux/armv4l-unknown-linux/lib/libc.a
Q.1 Do I have to do this ? The cross compiler tools, lib, include etc.. in my case are installed under/usr/armv4l-unknown-linux

I commented out the following line to avoid using STRIP as per your instruction in the attached note.
busybox: $(OBJECTS)
        $(CC) $(LDFLAGS) -o $@ $^ $(LIBRARIES)
#       $(STRIP)
Q.2 Is this correctly done ?

Once again thanks in advance for your assistant in this.

Al Modi