[BusyBox] Re: Busybox

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Mon Jun 19 16:52:45 UTC 2000

On Mon Jun 19, 2000 at 12:28:12PM +0200, Andrew Higgs wrote:
> Hi Erik,
>
> I am having a problem compiling Busybox (version 0.44) with libc 5 on a
> slackware 3.9 box. I can compile just fine using libc6 but it is not a
> very light weight library. Is there a way to use libc 5 or are there any
> light weight library alternatives which I can use?
>
> Thanks for the great program. Can I contribute in some way with
> documentation or the likes (not a C programmer unfortunately)?

I am _very_ interested in gettin BusyBox to work with libc5, and I have been
making some great efforts in that direction.  Unfortunately, it is not entirely
there yet.  I have a libc5 cross compiler on my system (i.e. I run Debian, so I
just did an 'apt-get install altgcc libc5-altdev' and then whenever I want to
compile with gcc2.7.2.3+libc5 I just change my path -- very conveinient)
Anyways, the following BusyBox apps do not currently work with libc5:

    #define BB_FSCK_MINIX
    #define BB_INSMOD
    #define BB_MD5SUM
    #define BB_MKFS_MINIX
    #define BB_PING
    #define BB_PRINTF
    #define BB_SWAPONOFF
    #define BB_SYSLOGD
    #define BB_UMOUNT
    #define BB_UPDATE

If you disable these, BusyBox will compile just fine under libc5.
I plan on making these work under libc5 as soon as I can.

If you have the ability to do documentation, I would be overjoyed to have you
help out.

 -Erik

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com