[BusyBox] TODO for 0.44 release [Was: Newline doesn't match $]

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Wed Jun 14 17:41:48 UTC 2000

On Wed Jun 14, 2000 at 12:12:53PM -0400, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> Hello, Erik!
>
> > The point of all this, is that I now believe the right solution is to use the
> > libc provided regexp support and throw away the stuff currently in BusyBox.  It
> > is probably the right move to switch to using getopt as well.
>
> I agree with one condition. Let's do it after releasing Busybox-0.44
>
> This is going to be a really big change and we don't even have a decent
> testsuite except for few commands, and yet it fails.

Yes.  You are right.  This should wait.

But this does then beg the question, what more needs to be done
before the 0.44 release?

I am willing to hazard the following list of todo items for 0.44:

 - merge telnet client from Tomi Ollila (I have this done on my
    laptop -- it just needs a bit more testing).
 - "more" doesn't accept " " to scroll by one page when BB_FEATURE_USE_TERMIOS
    is not on.
 - fix 'cp' (or test suite script) so that it passes the test suite.
 - merge Pavel's rm fixes.
 - doc / website updates to tell what the real mailing list is for busybox.

These could get done before the 0.44 release if we have time, but we won't
hold up the 0.44 release just because of these:

 - ps dirent race bug (need to stat the file before attempting chdir)
 - Make 'ln -s /tmp/file .' work the way GNU ln does (i.e. makes a link to
    /tmp/file in the current directory, rather then trying and failing to create
    a symlink named "." in the current working directory).

This suggests that we can probably get the release out either today
or tomorrow...  Sound agreeable?  Any other last minute bugs you know of?

 -Erik

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com