[BusyBox] Re: 0.44pre adventures

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Sun Jun 4 17:53:20 UTC 2000

On Sun Jun 04, 2000 at 11:32:50AM -0600, Michal Jaegermann wrote:
> Erik,
> I tried on my Alpha with glibc2.1 the busybox-0.44pre from May 13th
> (the latest I there was posted).  The first thing I noticed was
> that typing 'exit' in shell does not have any effect.  Even funnier
> effects resulted from doing 'echo "pwd ; exit" | ./sh'.  The thing
> went into an infinite prompt-printing loop which was eating something
> like 98% of CPU.
>
> I had troubles to figure out what is really going across these
> forks but it looked to me like none of built-ins was ever reached.
> After checking what happened between April and May I moved built-ins
> handling to the beginning of 'runCommand()', where it was before,
> and now built-ins do work.  Also the pipe above will have expected
> results even if doing
>
>              echo pwd | ./sh
>
> will still get you into an infinite loop.

Could you check the latest prepatch I posted?  I believe I have
this one fixed.

BTW, want to help beta test the mailing list for me before I make
it public early this week?  You can check it out at
    http://busybox.net/
(Yeah, I know it is ugly, I havn't made things pretty yet...)

> BTW - what is a real purpose for inclusion of 'test' and its '['
> alias?  Try as might I could not find any construct in 'lash' which
> could use these?  Am I missing something or this is for the future?

This is for the future.

> I did not touch 'applets' stuff and these things appear to work as
> expected when BB_FEATURE_STANDALONE_SHELL is configured.

Cool.

> If BB_FEATURE_USE_TERMIOS is not turned on then 'more' is just rushing
> to the end of a file without stopping anywhere.  When configured in
> 'more' behaves as expected.

Hmm.  Just tried it.  I have fixed that particular problem, but in testing it I
just noticed another problem in the latest and greatest, which I'll fix right
up.

> So far I did not notice anything else amiss although I tried only
> basic stuff and really no networking beyond ping.

Cool.

>                                                    Should not 'math'
> to take input also from stdin?  Especially that there does not
> seem to be any other way to create its arguments programmatically.

Yeah, I suppose so.  I'll add that to the TODO list.

 -Erik

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com