[BusyBox] Re: BusyBox tar Problem

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Thu Jun 1 22:43:27 UTC 2000

On Thu May 25, 2000 at 11:41:41PM -0700, Kevin Traas wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> First off, many thanks for BusyBox.  I've been using it since it was
> Bruce's baby.

[grin]

(oh and sorry for the delay in getting back to you -- I have been completely
swamped and am just now digging out).

> As a matter of fact, I'd been using an old, old version (from Bruce's
> day) for a few years and recently upgraded (to 0.42).  Much improved, I
> must say, and for that, kudos!

thanks!

> must say, and for that, kudos!  However, I've run into one problem that
> I finally figured I'd ask you about:
>
> It used to be that BusyBox tar would happily overwrite existing files on
> an extraction - which is exactly the behaviour I want.  However, as of
> 0.42, I've found that BusyBox tar simply dies as soon as an existing
> file is found.
>
> How can I modify this behaviour?
>
> I guess what I'm really asking is...  Are you aware of this change in
> behaviour of tar between the versions of BusyBox?  Is it intended?  If
> not, are you willing to "fix" it (I'm not a C guy, but I could find
> one...)?  If this behaviour is intended, is it possible to use cmd-line
> options to BusyBox tar to change it?  (i.e. not that I've seen from the
> docs.)

At the end of March and early April I completely rewrote busybox tar from the
ground up (the old one was basically a pile of junk).  Lemme see if I can see
the problem... <sound of testing> nope.  I don't see it at all.  Could you try
the latest and greatest (i.e. the 0.44 prerelease)?

 -Erik

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com