[BusyBox] BB0.45: features and fixes for lash

Stuart Menefy Stuart.Menefy at st.com
Wed Jul 5 09:52:00 UTC 2000

On Jul 5,  9:46am, mag at sysgo.de wrote:
> Subject: Re: [BusyBox] BB0.45: features and fixes for lash
>
> On Tue, 4 Jul 2000, Stuart Menefy wrote:
>
> > Now, normally when a terminal is first opened by a process group leader,
> > the terminal automatically becomes the controlling terminal for that
> > process group. However this behaviour is suppressed for /dev/console, and
> > as a result when BusyBox later tries to call tcsetpgrp(), it fails, because
> > the tty is not the controlling terminal.
>
> Are you sure that /dev/console won't become the controlling tty for a
> process group leader? Do you know where in the kernel source this is
> decided?

In tty_open(), drivers/char/tty_io.c. The variable noctty is initialised
to the whether the user specified the O_NOCTTY option to open, but it is
then overridden for /dev/console, /dev/tty0 and some pty masters. At least,
that is the case in the source tree I'm using, 2.3.99-test1.

Now whether this is 'correct' is another matter...!

Stuart