[BusyBox] ash, ext2fs-utils, reiserfs (was: interesting ash module?)

mnovoa3 at bellsouth.net mnovoa3 at bellsouth.net
Sun Dec 31 17:49:06 UTC 2000

Erik Andersen wrote:
>> Sorry. cmdedit is also not true right. Many external
>> functions, overchanged and big todo... :)
>> After New Year i compare and get true idea and put in to this ash.
>
> Hmm.  Shouldn't be _too_ many changes needed... :-)

I don't know if it is relevant to this newer version of ash, but I had experimented with ash-0.2 and busybox a month ago, in conjuction with uClibc.  Adding cmdedit support to that version was not difficult.  I think I just redefined the putprompt macro, but I don't fully remember and I don't have the code with me.  I did post a patch last month to compile ash-0.2 with uClibc and I mentioned that it could be included in busybox (I had an initial version working), but I got no feedback and assumed no one was else interested.  I'll have to check out this newer stuff.

>> ex2fsck, mke2fs(without mklost+found)
>
> Hmm.  Be interesting to know how small you can get them.
> I might consider including these in the stock busybox
> package...

Earlier this month I posted a message concerning building
the e2fsprogs with uClibc, including sizes of executables
and of a busybox-like mulicall program.  No one seemed interested so I was holding off posting the patches while I worked on some uClibc issues.

Adding mke2fs as is to busybox should add about 45k-50k.  e2fsck is much bigger however (see the earlier post). Because you would ordinarily want e2fsck as well, and because of the size of the ext2fs support libraries, I thought it would be better to have a seperate multicall program for the e2fsprogs.  I will post my patches for this approach in the coming week when I have normal internet access (rather than just webmail).  Again, see my post earlier this month for more info.  I'll post a base patch, and an additional patch for a uClibc version.

On a related note, I posted some general instructions (about a week and a half ago) on how to build mkreiserfs into busybox.  It only added about 20k to the executable.  If a patch is required, I can supply one this week as well.
This was using (a slightly patched) uClibc too.

Manuel