[BusyBox] Syslogd and other stuff

Erik Andersen andersen at lineo.com
Tue Dec 19 18:15:50 UTC 2000

On Tue Dec 19, 2000 at 09:47:34AM -0800, Matt Kraai wrote:

> Is there any way of getting feedback on what features people use?
> For instance, is it really worth having a one line usage message,
> or could this be done away with?  I personally like the GNU
> syntax, <program> [OPTION]... [FILE]... but I realize that this
> doesn't really help the people who only have one-line
> descriptions.
>
> Of course, the ideal solution would be to generate this
> information from the docs, and presumably make the generator
> flexible enough to handle any style (from no docs at all to one
> line to full descriptions).

I agree here that a literate programming approach, where the usage info and the
docs are generated from the same source would be best.  It is a bit silly how
currently we have to update the source code itself, as well as usage.c,
docs/busybox.sgml, and docs/busybox.pod which all contain exactly the same
thing...

Anyoine have any experience/thoughts on literate programming and the tools
needed to make it go?

 -Erik

Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersen at lineo.com