[BusyBox] Init problem (was: typo)

kissg at sztaki.hu kissg at sztaki.hu
Thu Dec 14 13:17:06 UTC 2000

> Do let me know if you see the same problems...

Dear Erik,

I was trying different inittab configurations.
It is almost working now. However I found some difference between
docs and the reality:

You wrote on the init man page:
<id>:

   WARNING: This field has a non-traditional meaning for BusyBox init!
   The id field is used by BusyBox init to specify the controlling tty for
   the specified process to run on.  The contents of this field are
   appended to "/dev/" and used as-is.  There is no need for this field to
   be unique, although if it isn't you may have strange results.  If this
   field is left blank, it is completely ignored.  Also note that if
   BusyBox detects that a serial console is in use, then all entries
   containing non-empty id fields will _not_ be run. ...

I found that init sends a message to the serial console:
	serial console detected ...
then it does not ignore this inittab entry but executes well:
	ttyS1::respawn:/sbin/getty 9600 ttyS1

However man page wrote this won't work.

Moreover I don't understand the manual:
1. If this field is left blank, it is completely ignored.
2. if BusyBox detects that a serial console is in use, then all entries
   containing non-empty id fields will _not_ be run.

This means, that in case of serial console NO entry will run.
Unfortunately this is not true. :-)

Note: I have serial console but there is a (totally unused)
VGA card in the system.

Regards

Gabor