[BusyBox] dpkg-deb and tar -z patch

Glenn McGrath bug1 at optushome.com.au
Mon Dec 11 23:59:54 UTC 2000

Erik Andersen wrote:

> On Sat Dec 09, 2000 at 09:41:54PM +1100, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> > Ive got a busybox dpkg-deb working, it only implementes the -x option at
> > this stage, its only small, probably better than a shell script, should
> > it go in busybox ?
> >
> > Ive also changed my tar -z patch so that it only works with extracting,
> > if -cz are used together it spits out a message saying its not
> > implemented yet, is ok as a temperary solution (till someone else fixes
> > it) ?
> >
> > To do the above im made some changes to ar (actually cleaned some jusk
> > out of ar as well), tar and gunzip, so im getting a bit out of sync with
> > cvs.
> >
> > I have some other cleanups in mind for tar
> > 1) Merging the 5 or 6 Flags in tar_main into one optFlag variable and
> > using a bit for each flag instead of the whole variable.
> >
> > 2) Getting rid of getOctal, strtol should work, thats what i used in ar.
> > maybe putOctal can go too.
> >
> > 3) I havent checked out the style guide for a while (maybe i shouldnt
> > confess, but its probably obvious),  somewhere in it there i imagine it
> > says main functionality belongs at the bottom instead of the top, it
> > would like to change the function order in tar.
> >
> > 4) get rid of a few more internal TRUE/FALSE returns.
> >
> > I dont really want to look at the above changes till i know whats
> > happening with my tar -z and dpkg-deb changes, if they are both wanted i
> > will just do 1 commit, else i will seperate them and just do one.
> >
> > If you want a look prior to commit i will post it to the list.
>
> I think I will save this patch for after the 0.48 release...
> I am a little worried about muching with something as critical
> as tar this close the the release.  I hope that isn't too
> disappointing.  If you have anything here that you consider
> critical for the 0.48 release, do let me know...
>
>  -Erik

Thats ok, maybe i jumped the gun a little, i did checkin some changes to
tar 2 days ago, they implemented the -z option for decompressing only,
without any of the other cleanups. It was mostly protected by defines,
but i did have to change readTarFile to used a file descriptor instead
of a filename.

I do have a new version of ar, i removed some feature bloat that was
defined out from when i was trying to aproach a dpkg-deb from a
different angle, and restructured it. The new ar is a bit smaller (saves
over 300 Bytes, woohoo)  and simpler, it only has two functions ar_main
and read_ar_headers, read_ar_headers is needed by the bb dpkg-deb, which
i actually had working for a while the other day.

I will hold of on anything except bugfixes.

Glenn