[Buildroot] buildroot config for installing kernel and dtbs to rootfs?

Tim Harvey tharvey at gateworks.com
Thu Sep 30 15:21:50 UTC 2021

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 7:13 PM Fabio Estevam <festevam at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 10:52 PM Tim Harvey <tharvey at gateworks.com> wrote:
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I see the buildroot has the ability to build dtb's from the kernel
> > source (BR2_LINUX_KENREL_DTS*) but I haven't seen any configs that
> > instruct buildroot to copy the dtb's or kernel image to the root
> > filesystem.
> >
> > Is there a config for this and if not what do people usually do for this?
>
> It is BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_INSTALL_TARGET=y.
>
> configs/wandboard_defconfig is an example that selects
> BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_INSTALL_TARGET=y
> and install zImage and dtbs into the rootfs.

Thanks Fabio, I didn't see it because I had BR2_TARGET_ROOTFS_INITRAMFS=y.

BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_INSTALL_TARGET only installs the kernel image. It
looks like perhaps to install dtbs you need
BR2_ROOTFS_POST_IMAGE_SCRIPT="board/freescale/common/imx/post-image.sh".
It seems to me installing of the dtbs to the rootfs should be moved
into a defconfig like the kernel image for those who are trying to
simply generate a tarball but not an image?

Best regards,

Tim