[Buildroot] Buildroot 2021.08 released

Peter Korsgaard peter at korsgaard.com
Sat Sep 4 11:44:47 UTC 2021

Hi,

Buildroot 2021.08 is released - Go download it at:

http://buildroot.net/downloads/buildroot-2021.08.tar.gz

or

http://buildroot.net/downloads/buildroot-2021.08.tar.bz2

Or get it from Git:

git://git.buildroot.net/buildroot

Please give it a spin and report any problems to the mailing list or bug
tracker.

This was another fairly big development cycle with more than 1200
changes all over the tree and 112 unique contributors! I'm once again
very happy to see so many "new" people next to the "oldtimers".

Of noteworthy new features/changes we have:

	Toolchain:

        - add support for gcc 11.x, gcc 10.x is now the default, gcc
	  9.x updated to 9.4.0, removed gcc 8.x support except for
	  PowerPC SPE

	- add support for binutils 2.37, binutils 2.36.x is now the
          default, binutils 2.34 removed.

	- glibc updated to 2.33

        - gdb enabled on NIOS II, gdbserver enabled on RISC-V.

	Bootloaders/firmware: support for building the EDK II UEFI
	firmware, support for building AT91Bootstrap 4.x.

	New BR2_ENABLE_RUNTIME_DEBUG option, that controls whether
	packages should be compiled with runtime debugging
	information (which is different than debugging symbols).

	Many features of the bluez5_utils package have been made
	optional, and default to disabled. Users of bluez5_utils are
	encouraged to review their configuration.

	Many packages (over 70) updated to enable the appropriate
	SELinux refpolicy module when SELinux support is enabled.

	Many packages updated to select the appropriate OpenSSL
	features after many OpenSSL ciphers/features have been made
	optional.

	New defconfigs: kontron_pitx_imx8m, microchip_sama5d2_icp,
	qemu_aarch64_sbsa, raspberrypicm4io, raspberrypicm4io_64,
	terasic_de10nano_cyclone5, uevm5432.

	New packages: alsa-plugins, apg, bmap-tools, daq3,
	desktop-file-utils, edk2, edk2-platforms, gumbo-parser, libbpf,
	libosmium, libpsl, libqb, libtalloc, libvirt, lua-linux,
	lua-zlib, mupdf, opencv4, osm2pgsql, poke, python-augeas,
	python-dbus-next, python-pymupdf, rtl_433,
	rtl8812au-aircrack-ng, seatd, snort3, system-config-printer,
	usbguard, xml-security-c, xmrig.

	Removed packages: clapack, libmcrypt, libsoil, mcrypt,
	sentry-cli

And the usual package version updates and bug fixes. See the CHANGES
file for details:

http://git.buildroot.net/buildroot/plain/CHANGES?id=2021.08

Many thanks to the people contributing to this release:

git shortlog -s -n 2021.05..

   458	Fabrice Fontaine
   107	Bernd Kuhls
    50	Francois Perrad
    48	Thomas Petazzoni
    40	Adam Duskett
    40	James Hilliard
    34	Peter Seiderer
    31	Adrian Perez de Castro
    31	Romain Naour
    28	Giulio Benetti
    26	Peter Korsgaard
    23	Michael Nosthoff
    23	Thomas De Schampheleire
    22	Yann E. MORIN
    19	Sergey Matyukevich
    18	Baruch Siach
    14	Arnout Vandecappelle (Essensium/Mind)
    12	Petr Vorel
    10	Asaf Kahlon
    10	Maxim Kochetkov
    10	Pierre-Jean Texier
     9	Gwenhael Goavec-Merou
     8	Christian Stewart
     7	Drew Fustini
     7	Fabio Estevam
     7	Herve Codina
     6	Bartosz Bilas
     6	Dick Olsson
     6	Michael Fischer
     6	Raphaël Mélotte
     5	Etienne Carriere
     5	Jörg Krause
     5	Marcin Niestroj
     4	Alexander Egorenkov
     4	Andy Shevchenko
     4	Eugen Hristev
     4	Gleb Mazovetskiy
     4	Heiko Thiery
     4	Norbert Lange
     4	Titouan Christophe
     3	André Zwing
     3	Edgar Bonet
     3	Jared Bents
     3	Jianhui Zhao
     3	Joel Stanley
     3	John Keeping
     3	Ludovic Desroches
     3	Michael Walle
     3	Ryan Barnett
     3	Vincent Stehlé
     2	Alexey Neyman
     2	Angelo Compagnucci
     2	Chris Packham
     2	Daniil Stas
     2	Frank Hunleth
     2	Gao Xiang
     2	Geoff Levand
     2	Grzegorz Blach
     2	Kamel Bouhara
     2	Kory Maincent
     2	Matthew Weber
     2	Mircea GLIGA
     2	Nicolas Carrier
     2	Scott Fan
     2	Sébastien Szymanski
     2	Yegor Yefremov
     1	Aleksander Morgado
     1	Alexander Mukhin
     1	Andreas Hilse
     1	Andreas Naumann
     1	Andreas Ziegler
     1	Bernhard Petschina
     1	Bilal Wasim
     1	Bruno Marie
     1	Charles Hardin
     1	Chris Simons
     1	Christophe Priouzeau
     1	Clément Léger
     1	Conrad Ratschan
     1	Corentin Labbe
     1	Dario Binacchi
     1	David GOUARIN
     1	Erico Nunes
     1	GAUTRON, Erwan
     1	Hubert Lacote
     1	Ignacy Gawędzki
     1	Joachim Wiberg
     1	Jonah Petri
     1	Joseph Burt
     1	José Luis Salvador Rufo
     1	José Pekkarinen
     1	Jugurtha BELKALEM
     1	Julien Olivain
     1	Kyle Harding
     1	Leonid Yuriev
     1	Marcus Folkesson
     1	Markus Mayer
     1	Martin Elshuber
     1	Miquel Raynal
     1	Mirza Kapetanovic
     1	Nathaniel Husted
     1	Nevo Hed
     1	Nicola Di Lieto
     1	Nicolas Cavallari
     1	Olivier Dautricourt
     1	Quentin Schulz
     1	Ryota Kinukawa
     1	Urja Rannikko
     1	Vincent Fazio
     1	Xiaobing Luo
     1	Yair Ben-Avraham
     1	Zach Vargas

And a special thanks to our patch reviewers (we need more!):

git log 2021.05.. | grep -Ei '(reviewed|acked)-by:' | \
    sed 's/.*by: //' | sort | uniq -c | sort -n -r

     11 Petr Vorel <petr.vorel at gmail.com>
      9 Alistair Francis <alistair.francis at wdc.com>
      8 Arnout Vandecappelle (Essensium/Mind) <arnout at mind.be>
      7 Bin Meng <bmeng.cn at gmail.com>
      6 Yegor Yefremov <yegorslists at googlemail.com>
      6 Yann E. MORIN <yann.morin.1998 at free.fr>
      5 Fabio Estevam <festevam at gmail.com>
      5 Adrian Perez de Castro <aperez at igalia.com>
      4 Maxim Kochetkov <fido_max at inbox.ru>
      4 Heiko Thiery <heiko.thiery at gmail.com>
      3 Pierre-Jean Texier <texier.pj2 at gmail.com>
      3 Matthew Weber <matthew.weber at collins.com>
      2 Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com>
      2 Qais Yousef <qais.yousef at arm.com>
      2 Michael Nosthoff <buildroot at heine.tech>
      2 Giulio Benetti <giulio.benetti at benettiengineering.com>
      2 Alexander Dahl <post at lespocky.de>
      1 Vincent Fazio <vfazio at xes-inc.com>
      1 Timo Ketola <timo.ketola at exertus.fi>
      1 Sergey Matyukevich <geomatsi at gmail.com>
      1 Romain Naour <romain.naour at gmail.com>
      1 Peter Seiderer <ps.report at gmx.net>
      1 "Matthew Weber" <Matthew.Weber at collins.com>
      1 Laurent Cans <laurent.cans at gmail.com>
      1 Christophe Priouzeau <christophe.priouzeau at foss.st.com>
      1 Christian Stewart <christian at paral.in>
      1 Baruch Siach <baruch at tkos.co.il>
      1 Aleksander Morgado <aleksander at aleksander.es>

The next release will be 2021.11. Expect the first release candidate at
the beginning of November and the final release at the end of the month.

This release will be supported with security and other important fixes
until 2021.11 is out. For longer support, consider our long term support
release (2021.02.x) instead, which will be supported until April 2022.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard