[Buildroot] Host aarch64 external toolchain support?

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Mon Oct 11 20:35:54 UTC 2021

On 11/10/2021 20:16, Charles Hardin wrote:
> Just checking to see if this support is already being considered in next or a
> new revision, it seems that all of the external toolchains are based on HOSTARCH
> x86_64 at this moment.
>
> We have some server arms for the buildfarm and likely will have some people
> building on Apple M1 chips as well - which means we are going to need prebuilt
> toolchains for multiple hostarchs.
>
> So, it would seem that the flow should be to make sdk on the both x86_64 and
> aarch64 HOSTARCHs and then push the tarballs up. However, the
> BR2_TOOLCHAIN_EXTERNAL_CUSTOM options seem to provide only a single download
> path without a selection on BR2_HOSTARCH or a conditional.

  You can use make variables in the config string. So you can set the URL to e.g.

"https://example.com/toolchain/toolchain_$(HOSTARCH)_$(ARCH)-gnu-linux.tar.xz"

If you have no control over the name, you can even put conditionals there, but
then it quickly becomes complicated. Like

toolchain_$(if $(find aarch64,$(HOSTARCH)),arm64,amd64).tar.xz

  If you can think of a way to support this better at kconfig level, ideas (and
patches) ar definitely welcome!

  Regards,
  Arnout