[Buildroot] error when i build buidroot

Joachim Wiberg troglobit at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 19:57:18 UTC 2021

Hi,

On 10/10/21 6:52 PM, Esaïe Ledoux NJONGSSI KOUAM wrote:
> no filesystem has been configured ...
> I'm just trying the default configuration

This is fine.  I think you've got something really wrong with your
Kali Linux host system.

> should i configure file system for my buildroot ??

No, we mean the file system you are using for building Buildroot on,
in your Kali Linux install.  The rsync error looks as if your disk
partition is a non-native Linux file system, like FAT, which does
not support the operations rsync tries to perform.

How have you set up your Kali Linux?  Do you have the buildroot git
sources checked out to your home directory or some other directory,
perhaps shared with Windows?  If so, I'd definitely avoid that. You
can check the filesystem of your build directory by comparing the
output of

   pwd

with the output from

   findmnt

On my system I have ext4 in the FSTYPE column for my home directory,
which is in the / TARGET.

I finished my install of Kali in my own VM.  It crashed badly before
I gave it enough disk (40 GiB) and RAM (4 GiB).  That's another thing
that might have messed up your build tree.

> the error persists even if i compile it as normal user

Well that's good to know, at least it's consistent.  Just beware
that if you reuse the same source tree, having switched to another
user, a lot of files may still have root as the owner, which may
give you other problems.  Either `sudo chown -R user:user .` from
inside the Buildroot source tree, or check out a new tree.

Best regards
 /Joachim