[Buildroot] error when i build buidroot

Joachim Wiberg troglobit at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 17:27:02 UTC 2021

Hi!

Kali Linux is a Debian derivative, so it should work fine as build host.
I've not used it myself, but I'm installing it in a VM now to check the
build steps to see if I can reproduce your problem.

On 10/10/21 5:48 PM, Esaïe Ledoux NJONGSSI KOUAM wrote:
> Le dim. 10 oct. 2021 à 14:01, Edgar Bonet <bonet at grenoble.cnrs.fr
> <mailto:bonet at grenoble.cnrs.fr>> a écrit :
> > Esaïe Ledoux Njongssi Kouam wrote:
> > > build for qemu_x86_64 by typing "qemu_x86_64_defconfig"
> > I guess you mean “make qemu_x86_64_defconfig”.
> > > rsync [...] system/skeleton/ /root/buildroot/[...]
> > You are doing this as root?
> yes , i'm doing this as root

I think you might want to browse through the manual again, in particular
Chapter 4, https://buildroot.org/downloads/manual/manual.html:

| Important: you can and should build everything as a normal user. There
| is no need to be root to configure and use Buildroot. By running all
| commands as a regular user, you protect your system against packages
| behaving badly during compilation and installation.

I'll retry the steps as a regular user in my efforts.

> > > rsync: [generator] failed to set permissions on "[...]":
> > > Function not implemented (38)
> > This sounds like you are using a filesystem that doesn't support
> > Unix-type permissions.[1] Is this the case? What kind of FS is this?
> So the file system that i'm using is ext4

Just to double-check, because "Function not implemented 38)" is really
not expected on a build host with Ext4.  Did you mean the file system
you configured for your Buildroot image, or your build system?

Best regards
 /Joachim