[Buildroot] Failing tests on gitlab

Romain Naour romain.naour at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 22:21:45 UTC 2021

Hello Arnout,

Le 09/11/2021 à 21:30, Arnout Vandecappelle a écrit :
>  Hi all,
>
>  The 2021.11-rc1 tag triggered a complete run of all the defconfigs and all the
> tests. 148 out of 725 jobs failed [0].
>

>  There are two main causes for failures:
>

> 1. multiple definition of `yylloc' in u-boot or linux, e.g. [1]. This is
> triggered by the update of the docker image which has a new (host) gcc version
> 10, which defaults to -fno-common. Since there are more than 100 defconfigs that
> suffer from this problem, I think it would be best to solve this in uboot.mk and
> linux.mk rather than patching all the defconfigs. The fix is rather simple:
> remove the definition "YYLTYPE yylloc" from scripts/dtc/dtc-lexer.l. There's a
> slight complication that older kernels still have a "shipped" version of the
> file, but that can be solved with wildcard matching. This will need a bit of
> testing though to see how it behaves with older kernel/uboot versions, because
> that code *has* changed a couple of times. Also, for the cases where there's a
> shipped version, we should probably take care with the timestamps, to avoid that
> the c file is regenerated.

Actually this problem already affect users using a recent Linux distribution. We
used for too long the previous docker image based on Debian Stretch snapshot
(20171210).

> 2. Job timeout, e.g. [2]. I'm not entirely sure what this timeout is. It's
> definitely not the 6h job timeout, because the job hasn't even started. I
> suspect that there's some hidden overall 24h timeout for the entire pipeline,
> and that because we have so many jobs, we're not able to finish all of them
> within that time. The only solution for that is to add additional runners. So,
> if there's anybody out there with spare cycles, please volunteer to add a
> runner! You can contact me or Romain to learn how to set one up.

We can also reduce the number of long jobs:
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/patch/20211109220328.388872-1-romain.naour@gmail.com/

Building all boards defconfigs are time consuming for the CI and doesn't provide
much benefit. All defconfigs are build every weeks by a scheduled trigged pipeline.

>  Hopefully, we can get better results by -rc2!

Well, except for the gcc 10 issue, the results are already good.
Only one issue left in the runtime testing!

Best regards,
Romain