[Buildroot] BUG: Buildroot build environment is messing up with host Python scripts

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at free.fr
Mon May 17 11:52:42 UTC 2021

Andy, All,

On 2021-05-17 13:58 +0300, Andy Shevchenko spake thusly:
> I have a very long time ago established a script that makes adaptive proxy for
> Git and SSH. This script is written in Python and has the following shebang:
>
> 	#!/usr/bin/env python3
>
> When Buildroot tries to download sources from a Git repository, the above
> mentioned script is being called to determine if proxy is needed and what its
> configuration. Unfortunately it seems that Buildroot build environment somehow
> messed up with host (!) one and necessary modules for that script to work can't
> be found. Note, the same script is working nicely with host tools (Git, SSH),
> hence there is no issues on the host side.
>
> Changing shebang to be
>
> 	#!/usr/bin/python3
>
> works around the problem, but the root cause is somewhere in the Buildroot.
> We must not require to change everything user have on the host (!) side to
> build the Buildroot. It's kinds show stopper to me. Any suggestion how to fix
> this  quite annoying bug?

This is not really a bug per-se, and this behaviour has existed since at
least July 2014, with commit 95a572282e (pkg-infra: move the git download
helper to a script), since then the git download is done with the extra
environment defined in EXTRA_ENV, and namely:

    EXTRA_ENV = PATH=$(BR_PATH) [....]

and where:

    BR_PATH = "$(HOST_DIR)/bin:$(HOST_DIR)/sbin:$(PATH)"

So, this is not a new behaviour in 2021.02, but most probably you
previously did not have host-python3 built as part of your
configuraiton, and now it is. And then, it takes precendence over the
system python3.

I don't see a easy way around, though...

But without the actual error you are seeing, it is impossible to suggest
further tracks of investigation: is the missing stuff a built-in module
of python, or is it a external one?

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +33 561 099 427 `------------.-------:  X  AGAINST      |  \e/  There is no  |