[Buildroot] Gstreamer1.18 build static option

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Mon Jun 21 20:33:48 UTC 2021

On 21/06/2021 20:24, Peter Seiderer wrote:
> Hello Ratheendran,
>
> On Mon, 21 Jun 2021 13:05:45 +0530, Ratheendran R <ratheendran.s at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>

>> I am looking for the option to build gstreamer statically and linking with
>> our webrtc plugin.
>
> There are no per-package options in buildroot to select static or dynamic
> linking...
>

>>  looks like it is not supported on buildroot 2020.x, let me know if this
>> working on any of the buildroot versions.please share the details or
>> workaround if exists.
>
> Only a global one, take a look at 'make menuconfig' and 'Build options' -->
> 'libraries' --> 'staic only'/'shared only'/'both static and shared'....

 Note that static-only is not available with glibc, you need to use musl or
uClibc for that.

 Also, static-only will link *everything* statically, which (for bigger systems)
will usually result in a huge footprint.

 I would suggest to use 'both static and shared'. Unfortunately, that won't
work: GStreamer uses meson as build system, and meson doesn't support building
both shared and static libraries at the same time, so you'll get only the shared
library.

 A workaround that some people use is to have two buildroot configurations: one
which is static-only and where you build the static libraries, and a second one
that copies the files from the first one as external toolchain, so the static
libraries are available. That's a hack that half-works, but it could be useful
for you.

 Regards,
 Arnout