[Buildroot] RISCV32 How to avoid the generation of compressed instructions

Guy Ka guyarkam at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 21:47:08 UTC 2021

Hello,
I would like to build a RISCV32 system. My underlying hardware does not
support compressed instructions. Using latest Buildroot (90a82161) from Jan
21
Outgoing from make qemu_riscv32_virt_defconfig
I modified
Target Options => Target Architecture Variant => Custom and I made sure
that "C compressed Instructions" is unchecked.
When I build the system, I still see compressed instructions in the kernel
and in the boot loader and as a matter of fact, I see the line
Boot HART ISA rv32imafdcsu during the OpenSbi boot up.
I see the following lines in my config file
BR2_RISCV_ISA_RVI=y
BR2_RISCV_ISA_RVM=y
BR2_RISCV_ISA_RVA=y
BR2_RISCV_ISA_CUSTOM_RVM=y
BR2_RISCV_ISA_CUSTOM_RVA=y
# BR2_RISCV_ISA_CUSTOM_RVF is not set
# BR2_RISCV_ISA_CUSTOM_RVC is not set

Could it be that the ISA options are not forwarded to the kernel/bootloader?