[Buildroot] RV32 "initial RAM FS linked into the target"

Guy Ka guyarkam at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 21:23:58 UTC 2021

Hello,,
I am trying to build an RV32 system with the Root FS linked into the kernel
I started with make qemu_riscv32_virt_defconfig
and subsequently
make  menuconfig
In the Filesystem section I selected the option "Initial RAM filesystem
linked into Linux Kernel"
( I also selected OpenSBI and included Linux as OpenSbi payload)
I saved my configuration and launched the build process.

Everything completed without error. I can boot the kernel with spike/Qemu
while providing the rootfs as the --initrd parameter.
My assumption was that the rootfs would be included in the Linux and I
would not need to pass it as an initrd parameter
However, if I omit the rootfs and only provide the kernel/Opensbi, I get a
kernel panic message "Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0)"
Is my assumption correct? If yes is there any specific parameter that I
should pass to the Kernel for this to work?