[Buildroot] [RFC: 3/4] package/x11r7/xdriver_xf86-video-imx-viv: bump to version rel_imx_5.4.24_2.1.0

Romain Naour romain.naour at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 11:05:58 UTC 2021

Hi Jérôme,

Thanks for your feedback!

Le 11/01/2021 à 15:02, Jérôme Pouiller a écrit :
> Hi Romain, Garry,
>
> On Monday 11 January 2021 14:12:08 CET Gary Bisson wrote:

>>> What's the status of vivante gpu support for X11 ? especially for kernel >= 5.4.
>>
>> Don't know. To be honest, i.MX6 will soon be a legacy product for NXP
>> releases so I strongly suggest moving to mainline + Etnaviv.
>
> Same here, I haven't worked on iMX6 for a while. The last teams I know who develop
> new iMX6 designs use Etnaviv..

I haven't worked a lot for customer on iMX6, but each time they used Yocto and
NXP BSP. Last time I tried to use Etnaviv with linux-imx, the kernel build was
broken.

>>> Because it's currently broken with several issues:
>>>
>>> 0) glxinfo fail to report OpenGL informations
>>>
>>> # glxinfo -B -display :0
>>> name of display: :0
>>> Error: glXMakeCurrent failed
>>> X Error of failed request:  GLXBadContext
>>>   Major opcode of failed request:  148 (GLX)
>>>   Minor opcode of failed request:  4 (X_GLXDestroyContext)
>>>   Serial number of failed request:  20
>>>   Current serial number in output stream:  25
>>> Perform final cleanup before process termination!
>>>
>>> (I'm using a patch that replace glWindowPos2iARB calls with glWindowPos2i:
>>> https://github.com/Freescale/meta-freescale/blob/dunfell/recipes-graphics/mesa/mesa-demos/Replace-glWindowPos2iARB-calls-with-glWindowPos2i.patch)
>>
>> Have you tried NXP pre-built image from latest release? Although it
>> seems they now use Wayland/XWayland. Yet it'd be surprising they'd
>> release a broken X11 package.
>
> As far as remember, imx-gpu-viv has never provided a working GLX stack (it
> only provides EGL/GLes and X11 2D acceleration). Yocto automatically
> provided swrast to support GLX. For Buildroot,
>
> I remember I found confusing to install swrast automatically. I preferred
> the user manually selects swrast instead.

Yes, Buildroot doesn't support installing two virtual package provider in the
same config.

> [...]
>>> It means that we really need two LIBGL providers enabled at the same time in the
>>> Buildroot configuration.
>>
>> OpenGL is another issue though, you can get X11 working without it. But
>> yes the implementation on libGL from imx-gpu-viv is messy. Thomas did
>> implement it once but never submitted it as the change was pretty
>> intrusive & hacky.
>
> I think you can consider that imx-gpu-viv is a EGL and GLES provider, but
> it is not a GL provider.

I believe we have to remove LIBGL support from imx-gpu-viv entirely and avoid
installing it.

Best regards,
Romain