[Buildroot] Buildroot defconfig issues

Ludovic.Desroches at microchip.com Ludovic.Desroches at microchip.com
Wed Feb 17 13:58:35 UTC 2021

EXTERNAL EMAIL: Do not click links or open attachments unless you know the content is safe

On Fri, 12 Feb 2021 10:41:26 +0100
Arnout Vandecappelle <arnout at mind.be> wrote:

> > But Arnout, I thought you were inclined to having "demo" defconfigs in
> > Buildroot upstream. Have you changed your mind ?
>
> "demo", yes. Like qt5we. It's good to have one defconfig which adds qt5we
> because otherwise that package hardly ever gets tested (it has so many
> dependencies that it's very unlikely to get built in the autobuilders). Also the
> other _qt5_ configs make sense, because it can be quite hard to select the
> correct graphical stuff for a specific board - the qt5 part is not really
> needed, but it's a nice way of showing something actually working rather than
> simply building.
>
>  But the _dev_ things simply select a bunch of packages that are useful for
> development. It's not at all necessarily the set of tools that any particular
> developer will actually use, and it's not very helpful for testing some specific
> package, and there's nothing specific for that platform in it.
>
>  It's possible that I'm a bit changing my mind here, because I didn't realize
> that last bit before. And for sure: if such a config is giving us pain (e.g., it
> doesn't build :-) then rather than spend time on investigating, I'd want to just
> remove it!

I agree that these "dev" defconfigs simply have a somewhat "random"
selection of tools that are not aimed at providing any particular demo.
So I'm fine with the choice of dropping them.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
https://bootlin.com