[Buildroot] Some analysis of the major build failure reasons

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Tue Aug 3 10:04:13 UTC 2021

On 03/08/2021 09:28, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
[snip]
> Perhaps what I should do is cook a patch that keeps the full build log
> file for builds that use top-level parallel build, so that we have a
> chance to debug these. The problem is going to be the disk-space
> consumption on my server, but I guess I could do something that
> compresses the build log after X days or something like that.

 A simpler solution is to use 'make -Orecurse' or 'make -Otarget'. That keeps
the recursive output together.

 It may not fully help due to the "Waiting for unfinished jobs" bit - the line
with the failed package may appear just before that. But that can be solved by
first searching the "Waiting for unfinished jobs" line and cutting off
everything after it.

[snip]
>> PS: I've found my autobuilders stopped, I think I've forgotten to
>> restart the daemon after updating the Distro. Now they're up and running.
>
> OK, thanks. That being said, additional autobuilders at the moment are
> probably not that important: compared to the CPU power made available
> by James through its super high-performance 63 machines, additional
> "regular" machines added to the autobuilder pool are not going to help
> much.

 Additional autobuilders do help because they offer a different build
environment. If there's some autobuild failure that *doesn't* happen on James's
machines, you can be sure that it's due to the build environment.

 Regards,
 Arnout