[Buildroot] More maintainers

Nicolas Cavallari Nicolas.Cavallari at green-communications.fr
Fri Sep 4 08:31:30 UTC 2020

On 03/09/2020 19:29, Adam Duskett wrote:
>> That's what we want. With the ML this is simply impossible.
>> We should aim to review patches that are already checked, that we know
>> are compiling for all the architectures, that respect some rules in
>> the commit message.
>
> And having a simple CI/CD pipeline for these tasks would also reduce
> the amount of time
> AND the number of arbitrary opinions on styling and testing, which
> would mean less
> work for the few maintainers there are.

Except this wouldn't change anything. checkpackage doesn't check much (judging
by the amount of changes the maintainers do to 80% of my patches),
and test-pkg cannot be run automatically, because it expects a config
with the package and its dependencies.

Plus, to be really useful, test-pkg must be run multiple times with various
dependencies and/or reverse dependencies, and at that point, this simply
reinvents the autobuilders.

Improving checkpackage and test-pkg would already benefit email-based workflows,
and it is perfectly possible to have a bot reply to a patch series if it doesn't
compile. This already happens in Linux.

And about the initial question: if buildroot need more maintainers or changes
its workflow, maybe it should look at how Linux distributions do things, rather
than how big projects do things.