[Buildroot] Issues when building pycapnp-0.6.4

Eric Dong eric.dongxx at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 08:02:56 UTC 2020

Hello buildroot community,

I am now trying to cross compile the pycapnp
https://pypi.org/project/pycapnp/ with buildroot-2020.02.7. Make menuconfig
to select an external toolchain from
gcc-linaro-5.4.1-2017.05-x86_64_arm-linux-gnueabihf, ARMv7 architecture.

Find out that pycapnp is dependent on capnproto which has support in
buildroot. So after successfully building the capnproto, I tried to add in
the pycapnp package in the buildroot.

Initially, having problems downloading when "fetching
https://capnproto.org/capnproto-c++-0.6.1.tar.gz into bundled", error:
<urlopen error unknown url type: https>. Then I downloaded it manually,
tweaked the configure script
in build/python-pycapnp-0.6.4/buildutils/build.py:
conf = subprocess.Popen(['./configure', '--disable-shared', '--prefix',
build_dir, "--build=x86_64-linux-gnu", "--host=arm-linux-gnueabihf",
"--target=arm-linux-gnueabihf"], cwd=capnp_dir, stdout=stdout)

But having problems building the package, seems the pycapnp building
process invokes the executable *capnp* binaries on the target instead of
host one. The error log and python-package metadata can be seen here:
https://gist.github.com/Eric97/e3269346a6ad7648ef734fbc5b5f18c7

Thanks,
Eric