[Buildroot] Request for documenting HOST_LIBFOO_BUILD_CMDS

Peter Seiderer ps.report at gmx.net
Mon Oct 26 17:51:03 UTC 2020

Hello Rafał,

On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 18:37:45 +0100, Rafał Miłecki <zajec5 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I'm new to the buildroot and I just spent few hours developing my
> first (host) package. My main problem was buildroot not executing
> build commands.
>
> In the documentation section "17.5.2. generic-package reference" there
> is description of LIBFOO_BUILD_CMDS without mentioning
> HOST_LIBFOO_BUILD_CMDS. While it must be obvious for existing
> developers, I find it misleading for newbies.

There is already some documentation about it, see [1]:

  For the target package, the generic-package uses the variables defined by the .mk
  file and prefixed by the uppercased package name: LIBFOO_*. host-generic-package
  uses the HOST_LIBFOO_* variables. For some variables, if the HOST_LIBFOO_ prefixed
  variable doesn’t exist, the package infrastructure uses the corresponding variable
  prefixed by LIBFOO_. This is done for variables that are likely to have the same
  value for both the target and host packages. See below for details.

> Could someone familiar with buildroot document that, please?
> Otherwise buildroot's documentation is really great, thanks a lot
> everyone involved in it :)

Maybe it is a little bit hidden and could be more emphasized...

Regards,
Peter

[1] https://buildroot.org/downloads/manual/manual.html#generic-package-reference