[Buildroot] Activate Wifi on my STM32

Shlomi Vaknin shlomi.39sd at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 22:17:22 UTC 2020

Hello Kevin!

Buildroot compiles the mainline kernel repository. Unfortunately, there are
no dts bindings for the wifi chip (in normal vocab - nothing tells the os
that the wifi chip is on the board).
There was a discussion about that about a month ago in buildroot. Adding
the relevant dts bindings did not work and this issue needs deeper
investigation. If you still want this you can do one of the following:
1. Use the yocto build system instead of yocto - st formally supports that
and the wifi works perfectly there.
2. Compile the linux kernel repository provided by st (in github) instead
of the mainline repository. In that case, you need to change the
linux.config file and add the brcmfmac driver.

In addition, you need to install the linux firmware package from murata
(BR2_PACKAGE_MURATA_CYW_FW=y) and enable the specific wifi chip
(BR2_PACKAGE_MURATA_CYW_FW_CYW43430=y).
After that, you need to use some userspace tools to connect to router.
wpa-supplicant is enough, but it is useful to install iw tools as well. If
you really want that to be easy, use the network-manager package and nmtui
(comes with network manager).
If you picked yocto, it will install for you most of the packages listed
above (if you enable wifi in DISTRO_FEATURES - no normal vocab for that,
sorry ;)).
If you really new to embedded linux and the first paragraph is not so clear
for you, than I am suggesting you to learn embedded linux using the
wonderful training materials that are freely available from bootilin:
https://bootlin.com/training/
Start with the embedded linux training as it has labs specifically for the
stm32mp1 (yocto training too, btw). Good luck!

Regards,
Shlomi

‫בתאריך יום א׳, 1 בנוב׳ 2020 ב-15:08 מאת ‪Kevin Tomary‬‏ <‪
kevin.tomary at hotmail.com‬‏>:‬