[Buildroot] Help: debug binary in build_root

Andreas Ziegler br015 at umbiko.net
Sat May 9 17:15:57 UTC 2020

Hi Kunal,

> Message: 14
> Date: Sat, 9 May 2020 16:33:47 +0530
> From: Kunal Chauhan <atkunalchauhan at gmail.com>
> To: buildroot at busybox.net
> Subject: [Buildroot] Help: debug binary in build_root

> 1.Please help/hint if we have a some binaries in build-root and its is
> crashing and also code  reside in LINUX folder of build-root. So how i
> can
> find a crash in it or put valgrind if some chunk of code is crashing as
> per
> logs.?

Are you looking at memory leaks and crashes inside a vendor specific
kernel? Linux has a framework for memory leak detection. I never used it
myself; the documentation is here:

   https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/dev-tools/kmemleak.html

You probably need to add this capability to code you patch into the
kernel.

In case of crashes, the first step is to look at the code. When
deploying, leave debug symbols intact and don't strip binaries. The
kernel dump should give you the location where a particular crash
occurred. Sometimes the bug is obvious and can be found via a code
review.

If that does not help, or you are referring to a program in user-space,
unpack gdb. You need to enable the package gdbserver in Buildroot and
compile for debugging. Check the documentation for details how to use
gdbserver /gdb client:

https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.6.4/gnat_ugn_unw/Remote-Debugging-using-gdbserver.html

> 2. As point 1. Without using or running binary on board can i check the
> memory leaks at particular file ?

If you have cross-compiled code, that may be impossible. Static code
analysis might locate some of the more obvious defects.

Kind regards,
Andreas