[Buildroot] Rename aarch64_efi_defconfig to qemu_aarch64_virt_efi_defconfig

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Wed Jul 15 13:49:39 UTC 2020

On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 15:18:28 +0200
Erico Nunes <nunes.erico at gmail.com> wrote:

> as you already mentioned, the original intent of aarch64_efi_defconfig
> is to be used with standards compliant aarch64 systems running
> ACPI/UEFI. It is analogous to the pc_* defconfigs for x86_64.
> There is a short documentation on it at
> https://git.buildroot.net/buildroot/tree/board/aarch64-efi/readme.txt
> where the need for OVMF is mentioned.
> That was a manual example though as it requires users to pull OVMF
> from the distribution. If there are plans to turn it into an automated
> test, then indeed it would be better to have a Buildroot provided one
> and this readme can also be updated.

Romain has already submitted a patch series that adds a package for
edk2, in a precompiled form. I don't know if you have been Cc'ed on
that.

> Probably needs ACPI support in the kernel config as well, and be
> booted with acpi=on as device tree is probably the default in upstream
> kernels in case both are available.
>

> > > Seems like a good idea.
> >
> > Ok
>
> Just to double check, wouldn't it be the case to have 2 qemu configs,
> one to test the ACPI/UEFI+grub2 profile and another one for the qemu
> direct kernel boot?
> If qemu_aarch64_virt_defconfig gets converted to that (which is a
> little more complex and I believe less used with Buildroot), then only
> that would get the automated testing coverage.

But we already have 2 defconfigs:

 - qemu_aarch64_virt_defconfig, which IMO should stay pretty much as it
   is: directly kernel boot

 - aarch64_efi_defconfig, which should be usable by EFI/ACPI compliant
   platform, and Qemu should be one of them.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
https://bootlin.com