[Buildroot] Virtual/online Buildroot Developers meeting ?

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Mon Jul 13 07:45:43 UTC 2020

 Hi all,

 [Yes, I'm still alive :-) ]

 Mostly +1 to everything here.

On 11/07/2020 18:56, Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> Thomas, All,
>
> On 2020-07-11 16:53 +0200, Thomas Petazzoni spake thusly:
[snip]
>> Questions are:
>>  - Who would be interested ?
>
> I would.

 +1

>>  - What format should it take ? One full day once in a while ? Just a
>>    few hours here and there ? Multiple days in a row ?
>
> My preference would be to block two or more days in a row. Sun-Mon ro
> Sun-Tue would be ideal for me, but I can adapt.

 I also think it's easier to organise at least one and maybe several days in a
row. For that, you clear your calendar, while if it's just for a couple of hours
you tend not to do the effort.

>>  - What technical solution do we use ? Is it just about agreeing to all
>>    be on IRC at the same time ? Or do we need a video conferencing
>>    solution ? Most of our meetings are multiple side discussions taking
>>    place at the same time, which doesn't really map well with a single
>>    video conference.
>
> This is indeed very tricky. We will probably have to adapt depending on
> how many of us are attending.

 Not so tricky at all. Zoom has breakout rooms, and in the other technologies
you can easily create a new room and switch to it. I have even done two meetings
in parallel once, but that eats away CPU like there's no tomorrow.

> Also, maybe just audio would be enough (I find video to not be that
> interesting in the end, when all we need is discussion).

 +1. I don't mind the video, but I don't feel it's really necessary. The only
advantage is that people can see when you go away for a minute and you don't
need to announce it.

> However, a way to share one's desktop (or an application) would be most
> important. A white board too, maybe...

 Shared desktop is absolutely required. But all meeting software supports that.

 Here are the candidates that I've used and think are suitable (in no particular
order):

- jitsi
- zoom
- Google meet