[Buildroot] start-stop-daemon failing due to option -q

William Tambe tambewilliam at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 01:35:04 UTC 2020

On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 3:31 PM Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 09:16:00 -0400
> William Tambe <tambewilliam at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am seeing the following failure when start-stop-daemon is used
> > during services starting; the failure goes away when I remove from
> > start-stop-daemon the use of the option -q in the service scripts
> > under /etc/init.d/ .
> > Is this a known issue ?
> >
> > Starting syslogd: start-stop-daemon: option requires an argument -- 'x'
>
> This has something to do with -q. -q is always supported in
> start-stop-daemon, it's even listed in the help text of
> start-stop-daemon you provide:
>
> >         -q              Quiet
>
> The S01syslogd script looks like this:
>
>         start-stop-daemon -b -m -S -q -p "$PIDFILE" -x "/sbin/$DAEMON" \
>                 -- -n $SYSLOGD_ARGS
>
> So I don't see how the -x argument can be empty.
>
> Did you customize the SYSLOGD_ARGS in /etc/default/syslogd perhaps ?

No, I did not customize SYSLOD_ARGS in in /etc/default/syslogd.
to find that -q was causing problem, I manually ran start-stop-daemon
at the shell as follow:

DAEMON="syslogd"
PIDFILE="/var/run/$DAEMON.pid"
SYSLOGD_ARGS=""

# This fails:
start-stop-daemon -b -m -S -q -p "$PIDFILE" -x "/sbin/$DAEMON" -- -n
$SYSLOGD_ARGS

# While this without -q is successful:
start-stop-daemon -b -m -S -p "$PIDFILE" -x "/sbin/$DAEMON" -- -n $SYSLOGD_ARGS

Are you able to run start-stop-daemon with the -q option ?