[Buildroot] Virtual/online Buildroot Developers meeting ?

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Sat Jul 11 14:53:15 UTC 2020

Hello all,

I hope everyone in the Buildroot community has been going (so far at
least) through the COVID crisis without problems.

We had our last Buildroot Developers Meeting in February, but it is now
becoming pretty clear that the next physical Buildroot Developers
Meeting is not going to happen in the near future. The traditional
"Buildroot summer camp" organized by the core maintainers/developers is
not going to happen this year. And the Buildroot Developers Meeting
that traditionally takes place before ELC-E will not happen either, as
ELC-E 2020 will be a virtual event.

The issue I see with this is that those meetings have always been very
useful in making progress through the backlog of patches, especially by
having discussions on some of complex topics and taking decisions.

As all those physical things (work, conferences, meetings) are now
replaced by virtual/online ones, I'm wondering if we should do the same
for the Buildroot Developers Meeting.

Questions are:

 - Who would be interested ?

 - What format should it take ? One full day once in a while ? Just a
   few hours here and there ? Multiple days in a row ?

 - What technical solution do we use ? Is it just about agreeing to all
   be on IRC at the same time ? Or do we need a video conferencing
   solution ? Most of our meetings are multiple side discussions taking
   place at the same time, which doesn't really map well with a single
   video conference.

Let me know what you think.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering