[Buildroot] udisks situation

Giulio Benetti giulio.benetti at benettiengineering.com
Wed Feb 12 20:52:58 UTC 2020

Hi All,

during bump of udisks package from version 1.0.5(the last known 1.x
version) to version 2.8.4 lot of heavy dependencies have been added:
- gobject-introspection(upcoming from Adam Duskett[1])
- libblockdev(upcoming from me) => libbytesize, volume_key(upcoming from me)
- parted
- polkit
- sg3-utils
- libxslt
then it needs:
- toolchain w/ glibc
- nls enabled

Adam Duskett, while testing(and fixing) my udisks branch[2] against its
gobject-introspection patchset[1], found out that currently Fedora
provides both udisks[3] and udisks2[4]. udisks(1) is considered obsolete
but they still offer it as a package.

Upstream didn't create a dedicated 1.x branch, but considering the
amount of dependencies for version 2.x, maybe we could imitate Fedora
and keep package "udisks" as it is(since its development stopped on
version 1.0.5), and package "udisks2" that will follow upstream.

The meaning to keep both packages is to have different memory
footprints, but most of all retro-fitting. udisks2 provides "udisksctrl"
tool, while udisks(1) provides "udisks" tool that are not compatible.

I have already discussed about this in IRC with Thomas Petazzoni and we
ended up to keep udisks2 to follow upstream, but udisks(1) seems to be
still used.

On the counterpart, being Buildroot an embedded linux build system,
where the system is not meant to be upgraded during its lifetime, one
could tell "do you want udisks? So use new udisks and rewrite the
interface to it on you application or daemon.". But IMHO this case
sounds to me similar(even if of minor impact) to packages "gstreamer"
and "gstreamer1".

[1]: https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/list/?series=157909
[2]: https://github.com/giuliobenetti/buildroot/tree/dev/udisks-bump
[3]: https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/udisks