[Buildroot] "PATCH": hack to be able to build Rust targetting MIPS

Vincent Fazio vfazio at xes-inc.com
Thu Feb 6 17:50:35 UTC 2020

Alex,

On 2/6/20 11:18 AM, Alex Corcoles wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Just managed to get everything working. I've documented the whole
> process at:
>
> https://github.com/alexpdp7/retrofw2-rust
>
> The problems are:
>
> 1) Rust updated their mips targets to mips32r2, while the kind of
> devices I'm using are plain non-r1 mips32. I created a patch for
> buildroot that patches Rust (on top of a patch I found that bumps it
> to Rust 1.40.0) to use the proper instruction set. I've opened a bug
> to see if they change the target or add a new one at:
>
> https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/68865

I'm not familiar with Rust, but there should be a cleaner way to set the
target cpu than hacking the default. Preferably the target MIPS cpu
selected within Buildroot would inform the target cpu?

A quick search seems to suggest this may be possible
(https://gitissue.com/issues/5a1e9e776805170abd3c8a38):

[build]
target = "mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu"

[target.mipsel-unknown-linux-gnu]
rustflags = [
   "-C", "link-arg=-EL",
   "-C", "target-cpu=mips32",
   "-C", "target-feature=+mips32,-mips32r2,-fpxx,-nooddspreg",
]

> 2) buildroot doesn't support building Rust for uclibc, I hardcoded
> that. It would be nice to write a proper solution to this, but I'm not
> familiar enough with buildroot. Does anyone know where I could request
> that?
>
> 3) I had some issues with sdl-mixer, which I fixed by pulling
> RetroFW's sdl-mixer. This is even more terrible, but I have even less
> idea about how to fix it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Álex
>
> --