[Buildroot] Root password and ssh issues

Peter Seiderer ps.report at gmx.net
Fri Aug 7 11:12:56 UTC 2020

Hello Michael,

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 12:21:51 +0200, Michael Opdenacker <michael.opdenacker at bootlin.com> wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thanks for your quick reply!
>

> > What is the state of /etc/shadow with the non-working SSH login, and
> > then the state of /etc/shadow after resetting the password with passwd
> > ? I think I remember some issues with the expiration date/time of the
> > password, or something like that.
>

> Here are the details
>
> # ls -la /etc/shadow
> -rw-------    1 1000     1000           190 Aug  7  2020 /etc/shadow
>
> # cat /etc/shadow
> root:$5$D1pz/P1l$JCZhyjzCCqmXbnPx7g/mBtNtSSKkMqgctsmV/zBmlR2:::::::
> daemon:*:::::::
> bin:*:::::::
> sys:*:::::::
> sync:*:::::::
> mail:*:::::::
> www-data:*:::::::
> operator:*:::::::
> nobody:*:::::::
>
> # passwd
> Changing password for root
> New password:
> Bad password: too short
> Retype password:
> passwd: password for root changed by root
>
> # cat /etc/shadow
> root:$1$SYGd3a37$u2RV/VOsLPqWznY4GR1jU.:13514::::::
> daemon:*:::::::
> bin:*:::::::
> sys:*:::::::
> sync:*:::::::
> mail:*:::::::
> www-data:*:::::::
> operator:*:::::::
> nobody:*:::::::
>
> # ls -la /etc/shadow
> -rw-------    1 1000     1000           174 Aug  7  2020 /etc/shadow
>
> I set the password the "root" (both in "menuconfig" and then through the
> "passwd" command). Only after this command can I login through ssh.

No problem here to login via ssh via preset password (raspberrypi4_64_defconfig with
additional dropbear enabled):

BR2_PACKAGE_DROPBEAR=y
BR2_PACKAGE_DROPBEAR_CLIENT=y
BR2_PACKAGE_DROPBEAR_DISABLE_REVERSEDNS=y
BR2_PACKAGE_DROPBEAR_SMALL=y
# BR2_PACKAGE_DROPBEAR_WTMP is not set
# BR2_PACKAGE_DROPBEAR_LASTLOG is not set
# BR2_PACKAGE_DROPBEAR_LEGACY_CRYPTO is not set
BR2_PACKAGE_DROPBEAR_LOCALOPTIONS_FILE=""

What looks strange are your /etc/shadow permissions, should give
root/root for user/group...

What is the /var/log/messages dropbear output for failure/success?

What is your config/defconfig?

Regards,
Peter