[Buildroot] Root password and ssh issues

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Fri Aug 7 09:54:12 UTC 2020

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 11:51:02 +0200
Michael Opdenacker <michael.opdenacker at bootlin.com> wrote:

> Manuel and I have observed a strange phenomenon at least with Buildroot
> 2020.02.4...
>
> When we generate a root filesystem with Dropbear for ssh, and set the
> root password through BR2_TARGET_GENERIC_ROOT_PASSWD, we cannot manage
> to login through ssh.
>
> However, we can login as root on the console with this password, proving
> that the password was valid. If we then use the "passwd" command from
> the command line on the target to set the same password again, ssh
> access starts to work!
>
> Would you have an explanation for this behavior?

What is the state of /etc/shadow with the non-working SSH login, and
then the state of /etc/shadow after resetting the password with passwd
? I think I remember some issues with the expiration date/time of the
password, or something like that.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
https://bootlin.com