[Buildroot] Status of LLVM

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Wed Aug 5 15:31:22 UTC 2020

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 16:36:12 +0200
Romain Naour <romain.naour at gmail.com> wrote:

> Last year I was able to build an aarch64 system with clang 8 (rootfs + kernel)
> on a Potato Board.
>
> Recently I tried again with a riscv64 target running under qemu:
>
> https://asciinema.org/a/DDspJVktlVl1Rh97dwLgtYcRY
>
> Clang: 10.0
> kernel: 5.7.12
> Busybox: 1.31.1 + patch
> gcc toolchain: Bootlin riscv64--glibc--bleeding-edge-2020.02-2.defconfig
>
> I need some time to continue to work on this series and convince upstream to add
> cland support in Buildroot. But it means more maintenance work for Buildroot
> maintainers/contributors to fix all packages that fail to build with clang.
> At least, we need to enable autobuilders testing with clang if this support is
> added.

I think it makes sense to have support for clang in Buildroot, and we
can certainly add testing for clang configurations in our autobuilders.

The one thing that was still a bit unclear for me is whether it is
possible to build a system with just clang, without a gcc compiler at
all. Indeed, Buildroot isn't really suited/designed for building two
different compilers/toolchains.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
https://bootlin.com