[Buildroot] Linux kernel configuration changes and out of tree module builds

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at bootlin.com
Tue Oct 15 08:13:03 UTC 2019

Hello Dan,

On Mon, 14 Oct 2019 15:38:07 -0600
Dan Walkes <danwalkes at trellis-logic.com> wrote:

> Understood.  How about this modification?
>
> * When a +FOO_DEPENDENCIES+ package is rebuilt or removed, the package
> foo is not automatically rebuilt.  For example, if a package +bar+ is
> listed in +FOO_DEPENDENCIES+ with +FOO_DEPENDENCIES = bar+ and the
> configuration of the +bar+ package is changed, the configuration
> change would not result in a rebuild of package package +foo+
> automatically.  In this scenario, you may need to either rebuild any
> packages in your build which reference +bar+ in their +DEPENDENCIES+,
> or perform a full rebuild to ensure any +bar+ dependent packages are
> up to date.

Seems good. Waiting for the documentation patches :-)

I think the main issue in our documentation is that currently this will
be added in the section of the documentation on how to add new
packages. But in fact, this explanation is not just relevant for people
adding new packages: it is relevant for people using Buildroot in
general. But well, the structure of our manual is not the best, and I
don't know where it could go. So at least, having the information
*somewhere* is better than not having it at all.

Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
https://bootlin.com