[Buildroot] ISO image creation: x86_64 architecture

Andreas Ziegler br015 at umbiko.net
Wed Nov 6 07:54:15 UTC 2019

On 2019-11-06 08:11, buildroot-request at busybox.net wrote:
> I'm new to Buildroot and using x86_64 architecture and squashfs root
> filesystem, please help me with the process of creating an iso image
> that I
> can run on VM.

Hi Anushka,

You might take a look at the readme.txt in buildroot/board/pc, it
describes how to generate a bootable image and also how to run it on
qemu.

Qemu will also boot the kernel file directly, without bootable image.
This is what I use for testing builds (kernel image contains the root
file system):

   # qemu-system-x86_64 -enable-kvm -m 256 \
	-device e1000,netdev=lan0 -netdev user,id=lan0 \
	-kernel /tmp/bzImage -append root=/dev/ram

Kind regards,
Andreas