[Buildroot] Nodejs failure for arm cortex-A8

Baruch Siach baruch at tkos.co.il
Sun Mar 17 12:13:17 UTC 2019

Hi Ben,

On Sun, Mar 17 2019, Boris-Ben Shapiro wrote:
> So now If I want to use the only NON-buildroot toolchain for this CPU:
> Sourcery CodeBench ARM 2014.05, I cannot...
> Is there a solution where I can use external toolchain Sourcery
> CodeBench ARM 2014.05 and still compile NodeJS

You need to deal with two separate issues here. (1) target toolchain,
and (2) host toolchain. That is because you must first build host-nodejs
to build nodejs for target. Buildroot takes care of that for you.

Both toolchains must be gcc 4.9 or newer. That is upstream nodejs
decision as of version 8. Buildroot can't do much about that. You might
have some luck with older nodejs versions.

The Sourcery ARM 2014.05 toolchain is based on gcc 4.8 to it can't build
nodejs 8. You can use other toolchain like the Linaro or Arm (Inc)
provided toolchains. You must set target ABI to EABIhf to select these
toolchains.

Same goes for host toolchain. Ubuntu 14.04 default toolchain is gcc
4.8. This toolchain can't build host-nodejs. So you must install a newer
host gcc version.

baruch