[Buildroot] [External] Re: Gsoc Interest : Follow upstream updates and CVEs of packages

Manas Mangaonkar manasmangaonkar at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 13:19:49 UTC 2019

> With respect to what breakages?  Test builds or versions not listed in
> NVD?

For example if a packager,user tries to package something or build
something for buildroot.but then due to some upstream dependency issues
or other problems it does not build.Then this can be automatically reported
as a issue in the upstream repo.This is a git specific approach though.
but this could work for everything

> I don't think a NVD only approach makes sense.  It could be a
> start but there are tools that centralize feeds.  I'd suggest
> reviewing Debian, Gentoo, and other distros approaches and tooling for
> this situation.

As a packager at fedora,currently we have automated update posting on
bugzilling whenver we have updates available,but not automated build
breakage notifier due to upstream.
as far as i know same goes for Debian.There does exist one tool that
releases to Github then to pypi and then to fedora(which is fedora's own
gsoc project).
So modifying it with buildroot functionality and other custom functions for
buildroot and tracking cve would be something to consider.

Owasp tracking project looks interesting.