[Buildroot] [autobuild.buildroot.net] Build results for 2019-06-10

Arnout Vandecappelle arnout at mind.be
Wed Jun 12 08:26:51 UTC 2019

On 12/06/2019 09:06, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 17:02:01 +1000
> Sam Bobroff <sbobroff at linux.ibm.com> wrote:
>
>> Ah, right. So that hack is no good, and it suggests that no hack on
>> the buildroot side can work as long as GZIP is being overwritten by the
>> package's build system. I'll have a go hacking the build system in cups
>> to rename the GZIP variable but hopefully their upstream will fix it
>> soon :-)
>>
>> At least some of the compressed files are part of some kind of test data,
>> so I'll see if they're the only ones and could perhaps be left out
>> entirely.
>
> Alternatively, Buildroot could use a gzip wrapper, installed in
> $(HOST_DIR)/bin to pass this -n option when BR2_REPRODUCIBLE=y.

 That sounds like the right thing to do. We only need to do install that wrapper
if BR2_REPRODUCIBLE=y.

 However, I'm afraid this will turn up packages that explicitly use /bin/gzip
without looking at $PATH... So those will have to be fixed again...

> The
> gzip man page says that using the GZIP environment variable is
> "obsolescent":
>
>       The obsolescent environment variable GZIP can hold a set of default  options
>        for  gzip.   These  options  are interpreted first and can be overwritten by
>        explicit command line parameters.  As this can  cause  problems  when  using
>        scripts,  this  feature  is  supported  only for options that are reasonably
>        likely to not cause too much harm, and gzip warns if it is used.  This  fea‐
>        ture will be removed in a future release of gzip.
>
>        You  can  use  an  alias  or script instead.  For example, if gzip is in the
>        directory /usr/bin you can prepend $HOME/bin to your PATH and create an exe‐
>        cutable script $HOME/bin/gzip containing the following:
>
>              #! /bin/sh
>              export PATH=/usr/bin
>              exec gzip -9 "$@"
>
> Of course, if we go in this direction, we have to take care of what
> happens if host-gzip is installed, as it would overwrite the wrapper.

 Didn't we say at some point that under BR2_REPRODUCIBLE, we should always build
all host packages? So the wrapper would be installed as part of host-gzip.

 Atharva, better put this on your list of things to do :-)

 Regards,
 Arnout